Thursday, May 9, 2013

33 days and counting...

Welcome to my side of the blogosphere!

This summer I will be embarking on a journey in what might become the most dramatic season (of my life) yet! (Apologizing already if you haven't watched the Bachelor to catch the reference, but in all honesty, you should be the one apologizing to me.)

On June 11th Charlie (my furbaby) and I will head West, to a town outside of Aspen we ambiguously call "The Town", and begin living in a dreamworld that is brand new, yet designed to look and feel 200 years old. I'm going back in time to live in the Wild West.
Say what??
My friend Melissa and I have been hired to work in what has affectionately been called the "spaloon" that was built for our clients Bill & Bridget inside their western town they built for themselves. Bill has been an avid collector of all things Western, including the only known photograph of Billy the Kid and a gun from Wyatt Earp. He always dreamed of living in a town like we've seen on "Tombstone" and "Lonesome Dove" and so, built this dreamland for himself and his friends and family. They'll be there in "the Town" for 6 weeks, and I'll be there with them the entire time. I have NO IDEA what to expect, except a great adventure.

While I'm there, I am certain I will have time to think and ponder and write (when I am not becoming one with nature of course). This is a journey into new territory not simply because i have never been to Aspen, but because i have not had the time or freedom lately to just "be still", to meditate on things I will have time to read, to blog about my adventures and what i'm learning and discovering not only empirically but spiritually and emotionally. I am looking forward to the quietness of this tiny town set in the Wild Wild West. And I'm hoping you want to listen, and be my lifeline back to the real world (side note- there are no TVs there and the internet is "spotty").


I really wanted to leave you with a quote from a song that's been in my head the whole time I've been writing, Michael W Smith's Go West Young Man, but the lyrics are really so bad that i just can't. ("Why must I wander like a cloud - Following the crowd - Well I don't know" ) As an alternative, I think a line from Fievel Goes West suits the situation a bit better:
"Just remember, Fievel - one man's sunset is another man's dawn. I don't know what's out there beyond those hills. But if you ride yonder... head up, eyes steady, heart open... I think one day you'll find that you're the hero you've been looking for." -Wiley Burp

Thank you Wiley Burp, for my main mission as I enter this journey- Head up, eyes steady, heart open, as I follow the sunset and head West.

-Johanna

No comments: